Almost ten years ago two Australian guys hatched a brilliant idea. They decided to grow moustaches for a month to raise money for a charity. Sounds a bit like beer induced silliness, but that idea was the beginning of a movement that has now raised over 300 million for men’s health initiatives… Movember.
Movember, a month-long world-wide movement to raise funds and awareness for men’s health issues such as prostate and testicular cancer. Please take a second to check out the website. It is a truly inspiring organization.
Here’s the deal about Movember (FYI, Mo is short for Moustache):
Once registered at www.movember.com, men all over the world start November 1st clean shaven. For the rest of the month, these selfless and generous men, known as Mo Bros, groom, trim and wax their way into the annals of fine moustachery. Supported by the women in their lives, Mo Sistas, the Mo Bros raise funds by seeking out sponsorship for their Mo-growing efforts (much like you would in a fundraising running/cycling event). The website makes it all incredibly fun and easy to participate.
Mo Bros effectively become walking, talking billboards for the 30 days of November. Through their actions and words they raise awareness by prompting private and public conversation around the often ignored issue of men’s health.
How YOU can participate:
1) Make a pledge to a Mo Bro or Mo Team. The EcoClean team can be found at http://us.movember.com/team/571313
2) Bring your cleaning in to EcoClean on a Wednesday in November. Along with what we raise as an official Movember team, we are giving 5% of all incomomg Wednesday sales this month directly to Movember!
3) Tell everyone you know!
Watch this video to learn more about Movember. If you’d like to find out more about the type of work you’d be helping to fund by supporting Movember, take a look at the Programs We Fund section on the Movember website.
Some men’s health stats:
• 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime
• This year 242,000 new cases of prostate cancer will be diagnosed
• This year 8,290 men will be diagnosed with testicular cancer
Thank you Austin for helping us support Movember and all the fantastic organizations we have partnered with. As of November 1st EcoClean had raised over $5000 for local non-profit organizations!! We are so proud.
Our December 2012 partner will be The Save Our Springs Alliance!